Eating healthy doesn’t have to be complicated.
Instead of restrictive diets, the trick is to focus less on deprivation and more on making better choices. Why does diet matter? Because proper nutrition will give you more energy, boost your mood, and help you stay physically fit – all important factors for succeeding as a law enforcement officer.
When developing a healthy eating plan, the overall goal should be to follow a balanced eating plan that includes fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats. In this way, you will be able to provide your body (and mind) with the fuel it needs to survive and thrive. Not sure how to start? Here are our top ten healthy eating tips.
- Cook At Home: This allows you to control portion and ingredients
- Focus On Your Food: Instead of multitasking, take the time to enjoy your meal
- Listen To Your Body: Learn how to tell when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full
- Stay On A Schedule: Eat at regular times
- Develop A Strategy: Make sure you have healthy snacks available to avoid impulse eating
- Get Colorful: Eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables with each meal
- Go For The Grains: Avoid processed, refined carbohydrates and choose whole grains instead
- Get Seedy: Include legumes, beans, nuts and seeds in your diet
- More Surf Than Turf: Eat fish at least twice a week
- Embrace Fat: Choose healthy oils, like olive oil and canola oil
Law enforcement is a demanding career, and staying fit and healthy are essential for your success and safety. By following some simple healthy eating tips like the ones above, you can ensure that you will not only pass the NMSP physical fitness test, you will have created a foundation for a happy – and healthy – life.
Are you prepared?
I want to learn more about becoming a NMSP officer.